Friday 17 January 2014

Spice rack with dovetail housing



I decided to use a piece of cherry I was given last year to make a small spice rack. The piece still has some bark on, which I will leave to give it character.





  • First, plane square, then draw design taking into account the feature for aesthetics, and a knot I need to place carefully. I decided to use dovetail housing joints as they are in my opinion far superior to plane rebates. Also to test myself, as the shoulders are only 2mm!




  • Draw out full sized rod.
  • Cut components.





  • Cut the scrolled detail with fine kerf scroll saw.





  • Cut the rebate for the back panel. 





  • Cut the dovetails on the shelves.







  • Transfer to the sides, and cut the housing.






  • Dry run assembly, then sand all components, glue up, and fit.






  • Scribe in back panel, cut detail with fine kerf scroll saw, final sand, skew pin in back panel, and oil.













No comments:

Post a Comment