I decided to use a piece of cherry I was given last year to make a small spice rack. The piece still has some bark on, which I will leave to give it character.
- First, plane square, then draw design taking into account the feature for aesthetics, and a knot I need to place carefully. I decided to use dovetail housing joints as they are in my opinion far superior to plane rebates. Also to test myself, as the shoulders are only 2mm!
- Cut the scrolled detail with fine kerf scroll saw.
- Cut the rebate for the back panel.
- Cut the dovetails on the shelves.
- Transfer to the sides, and cut the housing.
- Dry run assembly, then sand all components, glue up, and fit.
- Scribe in back panel, cut detail with fine kerf scroll saw, final sand, skew pin in back panel, and oil.